With funding from Avaaz, SFHC did a major distribution of food and hygiene supplies this August. These supplies are critical for families affected by the pandemic. According to local request, we delivered… – 25, 000 cloth face masks–… Read More
Since their opening in 2017 through funding from the Government of Canada, the Center and Demonstration Farm have served as the base of all SFHC activities.
The Farmer Research and Training Center provides a central space from which to facilitate farmer-to-farmer exchange, training and experimentation. Conceived over several years, inspired by visits to similar centres and cooperatives in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and India, this unique space includes classrooms, offices, a community space for meetings of the General Assembly, a dining hall and kitchen for recipe testing and meal preparation. Most recently, we are delighted to have received funding from the Biovision Foundation for Ecological Development to expand the FRTC.
Our next project is to construct dormitories so that visiting farmers can stay and take part in SFHC activities onsite, and also facilitate visits from collaborating researchers and students. The dormitories will be wired with solar electricity. As of January 2021, we are still about $800 USD short of our fundraising goal in order to wire the dormitories with electricity, and we would welcome your support!
Read about our funding goals here.
The Demonstration Farm is designed to demonstrate agroecological farming methods, to test seed varieties, and to serve as a resource for farmer training. It includes:
- Dryland cropping system with demo plots (including cereals, drought-tolerant grains, tubers and legumes, cover crops)
- Vegetable Growing Area with demo plots including legumes, leafy greens, fruits, herbs, roots and tubers.
- Herb and Medicinal Growing Area
- Orchard including orange, avocado, lemon, lime, banana and papaya trees, with collection pits (shown below) that serve as a water supply for banana trees.
- Woods for shade and agroforestry
- Rainwater harvesting tank, holding up to 36, 000 litres of water
- Livestock enclosure
- Fish pond
- Wind barrier around the fields